Easy tips on how to prevent a cold and avoid germs this winter season. Unfortunately, cold and flu viruses spread more easily in the winter months, so use these cold prevention tips to help strengthen your bodies’ natural defenses. If you do end up getting sick, these home remedies for cold and cough will guide you on how to get rid of a cold in 24 hours! Use these common cold treatment remedies to help bounce back fast.
The winter months bring more than fun holidays and snow, they also bring more sickness. You know that dreaded common cold that spreads like wild-fire bringing with it the nasty head cold symptoms of a stuffy nose, sore throat, sneezing and watery eyes. You pick it up at work and your kids pick it up at school. It’s everywhere!
Common Cold Treatment & Prevention
You and your family can and SHOULD do your best to avoid getting sick. My family is in hibernation mode during the winter, but we still have to leave our house. Even though we try to keep our germ exposure very limited, sick people are still out there spreading their germs.
Sometimes we just can’t avoid the crowds. So we must use and teach our family the best cold preventive methods. Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, these are just the methods that our family uses to keep us healthy.
How to Prevent a Cold
The first line of defense is to keep your immune system strong. Prepare your body to fight off any cold or flu virus by by boosting your body’s army: the Immune system.
- Eat healthy and take vitamins. The winter months are a crucial time to eat healthier. Try to eat immune-boosting foods. If you feel that your nutrition isn’t optimal, then make sure you supplement with vitamins. Vitaman C and Zinc are both immune boosters. My family loves to take Elderberry gummies, they have antioxidants in them to ward off any sickness.
- Get plenty of sleep. I’m a night owl, so this is a hard one for me. I feel my best when I go to bed early, but I have to make myself go to bed. Sometimes, as adults, we need to have a bed time as well. Don’t look at any screens at least one hour before going to bed, it will just disrupt your circadian rhythm. (This is one I have a hard time with, and regret every time)
- Stress less. The dark winter months can really bring on the blues. Look here for the 10 best ways to fight the winter blues.
- WASH YOUR HANDS! I know this one is a no-brainer, but it is really one of the BEST ways to prevent getting sick. Don’t just rinse your hands, wash them with warm soapy water. Teach your kids to sing the ABC’s when they wash their hands, giving them a good amount of time to get their hands germ free.
- Stop touching stuff. Door knobs, hand rails, and even elevator buttons have more germs then most bathrooms. I use my sleeve or my elbow to open doors and push buttons. I have taught my kids to do the same. Also, keep your hands off your face. Touching your mouth, nose, eyes and even ears are a big NO during the cold and flu season.
How to Get Rid of a Cold in 24 Hours
Sometimes no matter how much we try to prevent a cold, we still get sick. There are some great remedies to try during the very first onset of common cold symptoms. These common cold treatment remedies can get rid of a cold in 24 hours or at least really relieve your symptoms.
- Soak in hot detox bath. An Epsom salt detox bath will draw out the toxins in your body.
- Take oregano oil supplements. Oregano oil is a hot oil, so you will want to buy the capsules. Any time I feel the first symptom coming on, I start with my oregano pills. Always drink a full glass of water, or you will taste oregano all day.
- Put hydrogen peroxide in your ears. Everyone I know, who has tried this, swears by this cold prevention method. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide that you find at your local store. Put 4 drops into one ear, leaving it in for 4 minutes. Turn and let it drain. Then repeat with the other ear. It works by killing the bacteria in your sinus canals. This is a cold remedy method that will having you feeling better almost immediately.
- Take a tablespoon of ACV. Apple cider vinegar has many health benefits. You must use the one with the mother in it. My oldest daughter battled strep-throat for years. After reading about gargling with organic ACV to kill strep, she has been strep free for over 7 years.
Home Remedies for Cold and Cough
If you were unable to stop a cold in the early stages, then you need to use some good home remedies for cold and cough to alleviate your symptoms. The common cold symptoms usually last around a week.
- Use a cold-mist humidifier. We use our humidifier most of the winter to keep the air from being dry. Having the air moist will soothe the irritation of a sore throat and your nasal passages. A humidifier helps your breathing so much better when you are sick.
- Take a shot. Sorry, I don’t mean liquor, although hot toddies are pretty good when you don’t feel well. The shot I am referring to is: 1 tbsp of organic ACV, 1 tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice, and 1 tbsp of raw honey. Do this twice a day. This little immune-boosting shot will have you on your feet in no time.
- Diffuse essential oils. I didn’t really get into the the hype of essential oils until I used them and found out they really worked. So if one of us is sick, I diffuse RMO Immune Strength, to help keep the sickness from spreading to rest of us. It really works for us! It is mixture of scents that was used together to ward off the black plague in Europe many years ago. I was a non-believer, but it has worked in our house many times.
- Drink fresh pineapple juice. The juice of fresh cut pineapple has an anti-inflammatory enzyme that soothes your throat. Pineapple juice can suppress hacking coughs 5 times more effectively than cough syrup.
Prevent Getting Sick This Cold & Flu Season
Use these tips on how to prevent a cold to stay well and feel your best. Remember that common cold treatments are best used during the first onset of symptoms. Good luck during this cold and flu season, the BEST remedy is to take really good care of yourself.